The holiday season is upon us, which is the busiest time of the year for many companies. Even those who maintain normal volumes of business during these months are often understaffed, as many employees save their vacation days for the end of the year. If you’re already dreading how you’re going to handle the staffing challenges that you face during the next few months, consider hiring temporary staffers.
These workers can help your company successfully navigate any staffing issues that arise during peak periods and the busy holiday season, to keep your company running without a hitch.
5 Reasons to Hire Temporary Staff for Your Busy Season
Not quite sure if temporary employees are the right choice for your company? Learn five ways you can benefit from their help:
- Serve More Customers. No matter how talented your staff is and how hard they’re willing to work, you can only accomplish so much with your current team. If you expect a large influx of business during the holiday season, you won’t be able to keep up unless you expand your team accordingly.
- Enjoy Staffing Flexibility. Business patterns are impossible to predict. Just because you were busy during the holidays last year, doesn’t mean history will repeat itself. Hiring temporary employees allows you to be flexible with scheduling, so you’re not obligated to give a certain number of hours or keep people on staff when they’re not needed.
- Reduce Overtime Costs. In most cases, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires companies to pay overtime at a rate of one and one-half times the employee’s regular rate, after they’ve worked 40 hours in one workweek. These costs can add up very quickly, making a huge dent in your busy-season profits. Make overtime a non-issue by hiring temporary workers to pitch in, so no one has to work extra hours.
- Gain Access to Specialized Talent. There’s no need to keep an employee on staff all year just because they have a skill set you need during certain peak times. Hire temporary talent to get specific projects done, without the commitment of making them a permanent team member. Don’t pay more than necessary to keep your company running strong.
- Enjoy Higher Employee Morale. Your staff wants to take time off to spend with their loved ones during the holiday season. If you force people to work overtime and ban vacation days during peak periods, you’ll be met with a team of tired, burnt out employees who are downright miserable. Hire temporary workers for vacation coverage to make everyone happy.
Need to add an extra hand or two to your team during the holiday season? Wood Staffing is here to help you find Michiana’s best clerical and industrial workers to cover busy periods, vacations and leaves of absence. Contact us to get started!