Stuck in a career rut? While a career rut is usually easy to spot, it can be sometimes hard to fix. But fear not. To help you navigate your way out of one, consider making these six career resolutions for 2017:
- Take Stock. Before you can chart a course toward success, you need to have a clear vision of your career and how you want to move forward in it. So what makes you happy in your current position? What do you like least about your job? And what do you want to achieve going forward – e.g., a promotion, the same job with a bigger paycheck, or a complete career change? Invest the time to think about – and think through – your career so you know what steps to take to ultimately reach your goals.
- Stretch Yourself. If you’re unhappy in your current job, it may be because you’ve outgrown it. But before you start a job search, talk to your boss about what you can do to stretch yourself and take on different, more challenging assignments. Your boss doesn’t know what’s going on in your head. So don’t wait until your next performance review. It’s up to you to be proactive and explain now how you’d like to try something new.
- Ask for a Raise. Are you doing the job of two people on the salary of one? That may explain the mental rut you’re in. Positioning yourself to earn more money can certainly help you escape the career doldrums. But before you go to your boss to ask for a bigger paycheck, do your homework so you know how much you’re worth. Also, create a list of specific examples that demonstrate your value at your company.
- Find a Mentor. A career mentor can be invaluable in so many ways. They can help you gain insight into the challenges you’re facing, as well as chart a clear career path and achieve professional goals. If your company doesn’t offer a formal mentoring program, ask your boss about a good candidate to serve as a mentor for you, or connect with one via social media, or a professional or alumni association.
- Update Your Resume. Think it’s time to move on from your current company? Start polishing off your resume. While you’re getting your resume back into shape, make sure you have an updated LinkedIn profile that showcases your professional experience and accomplishments.
- Expand Your Network. Whether you’re looking for a new job, or a career mentor, expanding your network is always a good idea. And in this day and age, there are plenty of opportunities – both in person and online – to make new connections. Set a goal of meeting one new person each month.
If your big career resolution for 2017 is to find a new job, let Wood Staffing help. As Michiana’s best employment agencies, we’ve matched people to jobs that offer competitive pay, flexibility and plenty of other benefits – and we can help you too! Just contact us today or search our open jobs now.